Thursday, August 4, 2011

Embracing the Wild and Crazy

This is our new backyard:

It's huge- at least three times bigger than our old backyard. It's also completely out of control. There are no less than 10 junk trees, double fencing for no reason whatsoever, random dirt patches, and plenty of evidence of weird do-it-yourself projects from years past that were obviously done with left over materials. When we first moved in I couldn't spend five minutes in the backyard without feeling the crushing weight of work awaiting me in this yard. I have a vision for how I want it to look and it's taken me a couple weeks to come to terms with the fact that my vision of the backyard is going to be years in the making. For now I've decided to enjoy it for what it is:

A place where Aven will happily play on her own for up to an hour and a half while I relax on the patio. If you have kids you know that being able to sit and relax while your kids play for an extended period of time is a miracle directly from heaven.

It's also a place to play with friends. Our old house and yard were so small that we never really invited friends over to play. We've been here two weeks and Aven has already had friends over twice!

And the cherry on top is that Grace loves this yard and that makes me feel happy. There is all sorts of sniffing and exploring to do and (bonus!) there are chipmunks living in the trees which is the dog equivalent of an x-box 360- hours of non-stop entertainment.

I just need to remind myself to take a deep breath and love and enjoy what is right in front of me.



2 comments:

  1. How nice to have all of that space! I know it will be a lot of work, but a backyard is so great for kids :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. While frustrating, it's nice to have a project to anticipate over- it gets those healthy juices of creativity flowing...
    AND it looks like you've got some nice shade. All we have is a perpetually yellow lawn that could use some shade trees about now.

    ReplyDelete