Saturday, June 12, 2010

Late Night Overtime

As most of you know I work for a Water and Sewer company. My job primarily consists of making maps and maintaining our geographic database of all the pipes, valves, manholes and myriad of other things we have in the ground. Every now and then I get the chance to do something more hands on in the company. This month I volunteered for our hydrant flushing program. Basically once a year the company sends out 5 teams to open up fire hydrants throughout our district to help clean all the minerals that settle in the pipes during the year. We have to do this at night to minimize the impact on our customers, since having that many hydrants all open in the same area will dramatically drop the water pressure nearby. That means that for the past week and continuing for the next 2 weeks on Tuesday and Thursday I am at work from 6:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. as normal and then I go back out to work at 9 pm and work until midnight opening up and closing fire hydrants. Then I go back home and wake up in about 5 hours to go back to work. I knew going into it that it would be hard to miss all that sleep, but I knew it would pay off both fiscally (overtime is good money), physically (it's good to do some hard labor every now and then), and mentally (in terms of becoming more well-rounded it's important to learn more about how things work). I also hoped that it would pay off artistically, and it did. I included a teaser clip of an image from a series that will be posted on the art blog Cara created for us to display our creativity, "Creative Exploits" http://creativexploits.blogspot.com/
 

No comments:

Post a Comment