Monday, July 6, 2009

Aven's First Trip to the Malecker Ancestral Vacation Grounds

I've been excited about this trip since I found out I was pregnant. Being able to share the cabin my grandpa built in Flaming Gorge with my child was a major life event for me. This year is the 40th anniversary of my Grandpa leasing the land on which the cabin is built, which made it even more special. The only thing that would have made it better would be my Grandpa being alive to enjoy this moment with me. In one of the last conversations I had with him, he explained how he built this place for his family and how he hoped I would take my future children there for them to enjoy it the way I have enjoyed it throughout my life.

Aven and I sitting on the deck, July 2009.

My mom, Mr.Breeze, and me sitting on the deck, August 1979.

A family portrait on the deck.


Hanging out at Mustang Ridge. A favorite swimming spot that is accessible by boat or by car.


Aven and I at Mustang Ridge near the water. The water is incredibly high this year.


Aven and Grace.
It didn't get much above 60 at the cabin until we left on Monday, so Aven spent much of the trip bundled up. Thanks to Lisa Morey for the incredibly cute, warm hat that kept her little head warm.


Aven and Ian.
Luckily, it got up to 70 in places without so much tree cover, so we were able to enjoy a hike along the canyon rim at Red Canyon.


It rained quite a lot while we were there. Here's a gorgeous view of the bridge and the Gorge with rain clouds reaching down.

Thanks Grandpa, for building the cabin in this beautiful place. I'm so happy that my daughter gets to grow up there just as I did.

1 comment:

  1. Ohh, these pictures make me so homesick! I will always have a soft spot for Flaming Gorge.
    And I have to say, that now being in my last month of pregnancy, I have NO IDEA how you managed to teach right up to your due date. I am so tired all the time and I don't even do anything. The thought of dealing with middle school kids right now makes me want to cry. Anyway, just know how impressed I am that you made it through.

    ReplyDelete