Thursday, April 2, 2009

By the Power of Art!

The annual West Jordan Middle School Art Fair was held March 30- April 2, 2009. It was an incredible amount of work especially without my former partner in art with whom I am used to sharing the workload. With the exception of two panels and the table of ceramics I got everything ready pretty much on my own. Not an easy task, especially being 7 1/2 months pregnant. Special thanks to two boys in my Drawing 2 class who stapled mounted work to the panels and to geography teacher Enoch Eller who helped me set it all up in the library. Also, thanks to my mom and Ian for doing a great job with the judging.

Drama teacher, Lisa Morey had a fabulous idea this year: invite faculty and staff to submit things they have made. I submitted some photographs, which I printed and framed just for this occasion. Lisa submitted some beautiful bobbin lace. Other submissions were digital comic book style art, crocheting, more photography, Japanese ink painting, drawing, and ceramics. The kids loved seeing the faculty stuff- they are always amazed that teachers have lives outside of school.

We had a descent turn-out- not as many as the last few years, but I didn't advertise as much as in past years.

Hey look! It's me!
I just had to include a picture of one of my favorite submissions. This is from my comic book assignment where kids develop a superhero and draw a six-panel comic. After that they choose their favorite panel and enlarge it. This kid's character was an old man who's superpower has the ability to find prune juice on sale. I don't know why, but it just cracks me up. His best friend created another old man character who ran over misbehaving kids with his segway, also priceless.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! The library looks great, and I love the teacher submission idea. I really don't know how you are doing this pregnant. Hats off. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete